Open up a terminal session (or SSH onto the Ubuntu server) and run the following command:
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server libapache2-mod-auth-mysql php5-mysql phpmyadmin
This will download approximately 40MB and use 105MB of disk space. During the install you will be prompted a couple of times:
- mysql admin password – enter a password of your choosing
- The next screen will ask you if you would like your webserver reconfigured automatically. Select apache2 and click ok.
- Congigure database for phpmyadmin with dbconfig-common? Select Yes
- Enter the mysql password you entered before for the phpmyadmin mysql configuration
- Enter a new administrator password for phpmyadmin
And voila – we done! To test that it’s worked point your browser to http://< server IP>. If everything’s worked you should have a page saying “It Works!”. To use the phpmyadmin tool to administer your site point your browser to /phpmyadmin">http://<serverIP>/phpmyadmin.
And finally the default web root is located at /var/www.