Note: This has been tested with Windows Vista
In this post we’ll be using the Windows Vista boot disk to restore the boot loader.
- Insert the Windows Vista installation disk into your CD \ DVD Rom drive
- Boot your computer, when prompted press any key to enter the installation
- Confirm your language and input settings and click Next
- Click Repair Your Computer
- Select the operating system you want to keep and click on Next
- In the System Recovery Options click on Command Prompt
- In the command prompt type Bootrec.exe /fixmbr and press enter. The message “Operating completed successfully” will be displayed once the command has finished running.
- Now reboot your computer
And voila – the GRUB boot loader has now been replaced with the Windows boot loader. If you haven’t done so already you will want to remove your old Linux partitions and recover your disk space.